Well, February will always be an eventful month for my family. Within a 10 day stretch:
- My birthday on the 11th
- Valentine’s Day on the 14th
- Isaiah’s birthday on the 17th
- My Automattiversary also on the 17th
- My wedding anniversary on the 21st
- Black History is the entire month!
I might as well take the month off. 😐
I finally have some time to sit down and write about my one two-year anniversary of working with Automattic. The very fact that I am willing to sit down and blog about my job anniversary should convey the high regard I have for this company and the work that we do. Two years later and I can still say…
- I’ve met some incredible co-workers that I now consider good friends…in fact, I call them family
- I’ve been a part of three incredible teams thus far – The Live Chat Team (we talk to users from around the world about their WordPress issues), The Terms of Service Team (I get to ever so politely talk with users who violated our Terms of Service), and I’m currently doing an extended stint with The Community Forums and Social Media Team – we provide assistance to users through Twitter, Facebook, and The WordPress.com Forums.
- I get to talk to some of the most intelligent, driven people I have ever had the privilege to work with. I’ve been inspired to be a better employee and co-worker through them.
- I’ve been able to cook and help around the house a lot more!
- Day dates are pretty great.
- Being able to take off of work whenever I need to has been very life-giving for me and my family
- My health benefits are wonderful. Before a8c, I never had the security of having my entire family’s health benefits taken care of. This is particularly important now that my son has been diagnosed with ASD. Between the two kids, we have Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and ABA Therapy every week. Jordan is also now enrolled in PPCD classes. The fact that I have the flexibility to attend those therapies/classes in the middle of the day and be apart of my son’s development is invaluable. I wouldn’t be able to do any of that with a 9-5.
- I have been able to see my family whenever I want
- I gained 11 hours a week back due to not having to commute in Austin traffic
- I visited Portland, Oregon, Salt Lake City/ Park City Utah, and Barcelona, Spain – all for the first time (but turned down trips to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Barbados, San Francisco, and Canada…twice – don’t cry too much for me).
Although two years have gone so fast, they’ve been filled with nothing but wonderful memories. I am grateful to God that in his sovereignty, He blessed me with a job that both supports my passions and my family. Here’s to many more years! The pictures below are only a snippet of the work that I do, but it tells the story better than my own words can.