When I worked for InterVarsity, all employees had to do an annual plan. The TL;DR version was that we created goals for both our personal life and ministry. It was great! 10 years later, I am adopting it for my personal life, marriage and family.
With a second son coming in 6-8 weeks, I thought there was no better time to get my act together than the turn of the New Year. Is 2015 the year where the goals I set will be met? I’m off to a better start than ever before – so there’s hope. Here’s an abridged version of some of my goals. Feel free to keep me accountable by asking how I’m doing throughout the year. 😐
Goal #1: Get to 190 pounds, 20 lbs of muscle gain total
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship” (Romans 12:1).
- Objective 1: Exercise- cardio and lifting
- Objective 2: Healthy Eating
- Objective 3: Accountability w/ regimen
Goal #2: Reengage and deepen my Relationship with Jesus
“But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (II Peter 3:18).
- Objective 1: Prayer/Devotional
- Objective 2: Scripture
- Objective 3: Focused Readings- read 2 books
- Read The Reason for God and The Prodigal God
- Read Love and Respect
Other mini objectives:
- Go to church every week (outside of paternity leave)
- Tithe something every week
- Begin studying York Moore’s Evangelism techniques
- Join small group focused towards families with children
Goal #3: Develop and Hone Skills Related to Interests
1 Peter 4:10 “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”
- Objective 1: Learning the Piano
- Objective 2: Coding through Team Treehouse
Complete the following tracks: Web design (55 hours), Front End Web Development (60 hours), PHP development (71 hours), Learn WordPress (4 hours), WordPress development (18 hours) Total: 208 hours/30 weeks if studied 1 hour per day
- Objective 3: Work
Unrelated Secondary Goals
- Getting Carpe Sono to a healthy place
- Get out of credit card debt
- Learning Spanish
- Reading Consistently
- Blog 2-3x/ week
This is not even the beginning. Lacey and I were pretty ambitious – we have an annual plan for our marriage, family, and the kids as well. I’d rather be ambitious than not have set anything at all. What are some of your goals for 2015? What have you done to prepare for success in achieving these New Year goals?